Enabling OpenInsight Help Files On A Network Drive
By David Goddard
[ Rev Site ]
In June 2005 Microsoft released a security patch, number 896358, to address a
potential security threat entitled "Vulnerability in HTML Help Could Allow Remote
The following operating systems were affected:
· Microsoft Windows 2000
· Microsoft Windows XP
· Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
· Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 (Itanium)
· Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
· Microsoft Windows Server 2003
· Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems
· Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
· Microsoft Windows 98
· Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE)
· Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME)
For more information on this security patch please visit:
Once this patch is installed, OpenInsight help files located on a server will become
unavailable, I.E. you will not be able to read the help files, as this patch stops the help
files from opening.
Help files located on your local hard drive are unaffected.
There are several possible solutions to this problem, all of which are documented in
the Microsoft knowledgebase article "KB896358" which you can read by visiting:
One of the solutions proposed in this article is called the "Less conservative
approach". This solution involves adding some registry settings to your Windows PC
to enable network help files. The required registry settings for this solution are
Note: You must have Administrator rights on the computer to make changes to the
Windows registry.Enabling OpenInsight Help Files On A Network Drive
Steps to add registry settings:
1. Select Start, and then Run from the Windows Taskbar.
2. Type "regedit" and press enter to start the Windows Registry tool
3. Navigate to the following node in the registry
4. Add the following registry keys
5. Add the following DWORD's to the HHRestrictions registry key
MaxAllowedZone = 1
EnableFrameNavigationInSafeMode = 1
6. Add the following DWORD to the ItssRestrictions registry key
MaxAllowedZone = 1
You will need to reboot your computer to enable the changes.
Top of Page
Download .reg file
Click here to download registry (.reg) file to auto-configure access to help files.
To install the settings from
the registry file, download the file to your pc, then double click on the file in
Windows Explorer to install.
The contents of the registry file are below.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00